Email can seem rather quaint and old-fashioned these days, but it’s still one of the most powerful marketing channels available to ecommerce retailers.
The most important thing here is that you have direct access to your customers and fans’ inboxes.
Most other channels are typically owned by someone else. You should be doing search marketing and social media marketing, but in both of those cases you’re always going to be at the mercy of the companies that own those channels.
We’ve talked to retailers before who were doing well on search or social, only to get severely hampered by some algorithm change over at Google or Facebook.
Email, however, is eternal. Once your customer gives you their email, you have their permission to keep emailing them until they unsubscribe.
Here are some great links to posts about email marketing:
1. DigitalMarketer’s Ultimate Guide To Ecommerce Email Marketing
This is an epic, 15,000+ word post by John McIntyre, the CEO of ReEngager.
It’s broken into 4 parts:
- Part 1 – The Tools of an Ecommerce Email Marketing Strategy
- Part 2 – Ecommerce Email Marketing Campaign Roadmap – Stage 1
- Part 3 – Ecommerce Email Marketing Campaign Roadmap – Stage 2
- Part 4 – How Ecommerce Companies Like Amazon, Bonobos and Envelopes.com Drive Millions With Email Marketing
2. How To Write Great Emails Asking For Referrals
This is one of our most popular posts of all time. There are 6 parts:
- Focus on the subject line
- Keep the email simple
- Make your call-to-action impossible to ignore
- Emphasize the motivation for purchase
- Highlight the benefit to Friend AND Advocate
- Include any additional conditions for the referral
3. 6 Examples of Beautiful Referral Email Designs
We used to hear from retailers that they didn’t know what they could do with their referral program’s emails – how could they make the emails look good?
So we’ve put together a list of some of the coolest referral emails we’ve seen our clients use.
4. Vero’s The Ultimate Guide To Successful Email Marketing
Vero has one of the more comprehensive and easy-to-read email marketing guides we’ve seen.
It’s broken up into 7 parts:
1 Your Basic Setup
2 Getting Subscribers
3 Your First Campaign Strategy
4 Creating Killer Content
5 Tracking Your Results
6 Optimizing Email Campaigns
7 Bonus Tips & Tricks
We’ll be continuing to update this post with more ecommerce email marketing resources, so stay tuned!