VideoBlocks is a subscription site that provides studio quality, affordable stock footage, motion backgrounds, and even After Effects templates.
Unlike other stock footage sites that charge per download, VideoBlocks members enjoy unlimited downloads for a monthly/yearly subscription fee.
Their cheapest subscription goes for $79/month, and they also offer a 7-day free trial.
Although they have been using ReferralCandy since early 2014, I did not see any signs of their referral program on their website. I figured it is exclusive to members.
True enough, the referral program CTA button appears once you sign up for the free trial or become a paid subscriber:
Personally, I think that’s a good move.
Most of paying customers are likely professionals in the media design field. By only allowing members to refer, it reduces the total amount of referrals, but ensures that they are mostly high quality referrals made by professionals.
We then spoke with the founder of VideoBlocks, Joel Holland, on some marketing challenges faced and how ReferralCandy has been working out for VideoBlocks:
1. Where do your customers come from?
- Referrals. We have a lot of customers between our sites (Videoblocks.com, GraphicStock.com, and AudioBlocks.com) and our content quality + price point means we can appeal to a wide audience, so that really which helps to lower the hurdle for new customers who may be referred by a friend.
- Email marketing
2. What are some marketing challenges you faced?
- We thought display ads would be huge, but the CPA never worked out
- We have to always be looking to the digital frontier to find new paid channels, and smarter ways to encourage our happy customers into become advocates to improve WOM and referrals
3. Other than ReferralCandy, what other marketing tools do you use?
4. What feedback do you have for ReferralCandy?
- We highly recommend it. ReferralCandy really takes the work out of referral programs and automates what used to be a time consuming and laborious process.
- We actually use ReferralCandy as a benefit when we work with external partners. The ability to give potential future customers a referral reward is extremely powerful as an acquisition tool.
- ReferralCandy’s strength really lives in its simplicity.
- So far between all three platforms we have made close to $132,000 and have had countless happy customers because of it!
Stuff to note:
- Always look out for what your customers really want: VideoBlocks may not have as many video clips as their bigger competitors, but they employ data mining methods to make sure that their videos are exactly what their customers need.
- Focus on quality, not quantity: From data mining to find out what the customers really want to a members-only referral program, VideoBlocks shows that they only want quality customers.
Hey! Another great strategy to secure customers is to ensure your landing page is top-notch.