In this week’s episode, we present to you Lunatik: a company that produces some of the most bad-ass iPhone cases and mobile devices we’ve ever seen.
Unconvinced? Here’s one of their flagship cases, the Taktik Extreme case for the iPhone 5s:
The Lunatik team’s incredible design chops are evident in their superb product designs, sleek website and in their mobile rewards app.
1. That’s right, they have a mobile app made just for word-of-mouth sharing.
Here’s how their referral process goes:
Bob is meeting Alice for coffee. When he sees Alice’s Lunatik gear, he can’t help but ask her where she got it. Alice then whips out her iPhone and opens the app. The app contains a catalogue of Lunatik products, which Alice shows Bob.
His jaw drops when he sees the Lunatik nano watch, and says he just has to get his hands on it. Alice says “No problem”, and clicks on the share button. “Here, enter your email and you’ll get a 20% discount.”
Borrowing the phrase from the Lunatik Rewards video – Bob’s mind ‘pretty much explodes’.
What we love about the app was how well it mirrors natural offline word-of-mouth sharing. There have been many instances where we share something awesome with our friends, and they ask for more information. We do a Google search for images or the company website, and share it with them.
In Lunatik’s case, the app provides a one-stop solution for the entire referral process. It isn’t common for any business to have a mobile app just for their rewards and referral programs, and it definitely isn’t easy to create one either.
The fact that Lunatik has gone on to create one shows that:
- They know that their products are conversation-starters, and the app will greatly boost the referral process.
- They have a solid understanding of how word-of-mouth works.
- They want their Rewards program to be a big part of the Lunatik consumer experience.
Of course, for users who do not own an iPhone, they can refer their friends via email, Google+, Twitter or a personalised URL.
2. Lunatik empowers their fans, making them ‘feel like a total bad-ass’.
(Sorry, Lunatik, that phrase in your video was just too catchy to miss!)
Anyway, Lunatik understands that owners of their products will make their users feel quite special and different, much like Apple users. So they went ahead and create something special, just like Apple did: they made their customers unofficial brand ambassadors.
Having attractive looking products, coupled with the epic referral app allows customers to complete the entire referral process within the app itself, and that is a very powerful thing.
It’s powerful because it empowers customers.
By being able to have an app to show off cool products to their friends, and even make their friends happy by giving them a discount, it only makes them happier and more proud to be a Lunatik fan! While most referral programs allow their users to refer their friends to get a discount, Lunatik allows their fans to feel that they literally have the power within their hands.
Making them feel like a total bad-ass is probably the most apt description of that feeling.
Focus on making a great referral program, and on making your customers feel great as well
- If you really believe in something, put in effort to make sure it works. Lunatik has a strong belief in their referral program, so much so that they went and made an app for it. Focus on making a great product, and then you’ll have the confidence to do everything else.
- Empower your customers. When you can make your users feel like they’re totally awesome, they’ll feel great, and will gladly spread that love onward.
Here’s an additional benefit: When people see that you even have such a polished app with a catalogue and referral function built into it, it impresses them even more, and that can only be a good thing!
Here’s an overview of Lunatik’s referral program:
Overview of Referral Program
|Product / service type||Mobile accessories (Apple)|
|Referral method||– Email (Referrer enters email address through iPhone Lunatik app)|
– Unique referral URL, Email, Google+, Twitter
|Referral Reward||When referred friend purchases product through the referred link:|
– 20% cash from referred item price
|Referred Friend Offer||After clicking on referral link (through direct URL or Email):|
– 20% off referred item price
Be sure to check out Lunatik, and stay tuned for more bad-ass referral programs!
Read next: Learn how to promote your referral program!